Of Pierre Nkurunziza and Luo Catholics: I am reading with increasing bemusement as my Luo brethren struggle with pronouncing the first name of the departed Burundi leader.
For the information of non-Luos the man’s first name simply means someone’s backside. So it happened that when the first Catholic missionaries appeared in Luo Nyanza the head of the legion was a man going by the name of Father Pierre.
Now it would have been an abomination to call someone that name, more so a man of God. So my kinsmen Luonised the name to the more palatable Opere. It is for this reason that in Luoland Catholics are known as JoKopere (The Opera). Now you get it, folks!
- Sauti Sol Joins #YouTubeblackvoices
- William Ruto’s 10 limitations compared to Raila’s strengths
- “Killing Eve”, Series Inspired Lawrence Warunge To Kill His Family
- Trump PERMANENTLY banned from Twitter. This is the man who says he would not have been President without twitter. He also said twitter is like owning a media house without the losses
- Madonna also joins the list of celebrities visiting Kenya
Via Tom Osanjo Facebook