President Kenyatta has signed into law a bill allowing a voter to recall incompetent and troublesome MCAs. The process of recalling an MCA according to the new law has been simplified in that a voter from the ward can kick start the process after obtaining over 30% of signatures from the ward’s registered voters.
Nairobi Hospital, Ruai Family Healthcare, Nominated For The Quality Healthcare Awards 2021
- Open Letter To Senator James Orengo
- Siaya Gubernatorial Race Is Wandayi’s To Lose
- Mbusii and Lion visit new moms with goodies at Ruai Family Hospital – Radio jambo’s drive presenters Mbusii and Lion bring early Valentine’s to new moms in the new Martenity wing at Ruai Family Hospital.
- Mike Sonko congratulates Martin Wabora
The voter then writes to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) and impeachment process has to be concluded within 30 days of its filing.
HOW TO RECALL AN MCA! Simplified.
- A petition filed in writing with the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) will initiate the recall.
2..Petition must be signed by 30 per cent of the registered voters in the Ward.
- The petition must be signed by a petitioner who is a voter in the ward in respect of which the recall is sought,” reads part of the law.
- Submission of the petition to the IEBC must be within 30 days from the date of its filing.
- The IEBC shall verify the signatures within 30 days from the date the petition is filed.
- The commission, if satisfied that the requirements are met, it shall, within 14 days of verification, issue a notice to recall the rep to the Speaker of the county assembly.
- The IEBC shall conduct a recall election in the affected ward within 90 days of publication of the question – Yes or No.
- A simple majority shall decide the recall vote.
- If a majority vote in support of the recall, IEBC shall conduct a by-election in the ward within 90 days.